Compress a PDF in Preview on Mac. To save storage space, you can compress a PDF in Preview. Note: When compressed, the PDF may be of lower quality than the original. Open Preview for me. In the Preview app on your Mac, open the PDF, then choose File Export.
Compress PDFs in a click
When you need to compress PDF files, the choices you have can be confusing. Moreover, it’s hard to know if you’re doing it the right way, or if whatever method you’re using to reduce PDF size may compromise its quality.
- PdfCompress is a Mac OS X utility for reducing the size of PDF files. Just drop your file on the PdfCompress icon and it will quickly create a new, compressed PDF file suitable for sending via e.
- Part 1: How to Compress PDF on Mac (10.15 Catalina included) One of the best PDF compressor tools for Mac on the market is PDFelement Pro PDFelement Pro. This program can help you to compress PDF mac without losing quality. You won't need to remove objects, images, or other elements of your PDF to reduce the file size in order to share through.
Here we’ll show you how to compress a PDF the right way, and what to watch out for when reducing the file size of any PDF.
Best way to compress PDF on Mac
First things first: When you shrink a PDF file on your Mac, it should never harm the document. It also shouldn’t take a long time. If you need to shrink PDF files, and it’s taking longer than a few seconds (for most files), that’s an issue.
It’s entirely possible the compression is compromising the file, which could have devastating effects.
The Best PDF File Compressor
Compress multiples PDF files at once without loss of quality.
Your best bet is to find a reliable app to compress PDF file sizes without harming the document. One of the best options is PDF Squeezer for Mac. It can reduce size of PDF by up to 90 percent. It also has an option to limit a PDF’s image quality – allowing you to purposefully reduce an image’s quality to make the reduced file size even smaller when it’s compressed. This is really handy when you have something like a text document that doesn’t need to be pixel-perfect.
You can also choose the final resolution of a PDF, convert its color profile, eliminate annotations, choose a sampling rate, and convert to bitmap if desired. PDF Squeezer simply has a ton of fine-tuning you can do to find that sweet-spot for a reduced PDF that retains as much (or little) quality as you like.
Reduce PDF file size on Mac
One handy feature of PDF Squeezer is its verification for reduced files. If you were trying to reduce a file below a particular threshold – say you needed the final file size to be 80 percent smaller, but it only reduced to 40 percent of its original size – the app allows you to cancel the compression and start over. This is when you could fine-tune the file’s image quality to further reduce its final size.
For those of you who really need a powerful, free PDF compressor, PDF Squeezer also batch-reduces PDFs. It can take several files, shrink them individually, and allow you the same granular fine-tuning options!
PDF Squeezer even lets you squeeze entire folders and sub-folders full of PDFs. It really is the most powerful option we’ve found for reducing the file size of a PDF.
Your Mac has a built-in way to reduce the make PDF smaller. The Preview app has a really straightforward way to compress PDFs. We’ll show you how
The most popular way: Use Adobe to squeeze PDFs
If you’re wondering how to make a PDF smaller using the most popular method, Adobe Acrobat is the answer. It’s far and away the leading name for PDFs, including reducing file sizes.
There’s good reason we’re not recommending it, though. Adobe Acrobat is very expensive. If all you’re looking to do is reduce PDF file sizes, there’s just no reason to use Adobe Acrobat. It’s also a really cumbersome process. Here’s how to use Adobe Acrobat to reduce the file size of a PDF:
- In Adobe Acrobat Pro, Select ‘File’ from the menu bar.
- Select ‘Open.’
- Select the file you want to open.
- Select ‘File’ in that document’s menu bar.
- Select ‘Save as Other.’
- Select ‘Reduced size PDF.’
- In the pop-up window, select ‘Retain existing’ in the ‘Make compatible with’ selector.
- Select a location to save the file.
- Click save.
Compressing PDFs online
There are many, many options to reduce a PDF file online. One of the better options is SmallPDF. It’s a pretty straightforward process, and it’s free – but there are drawbacks.
To download a file, you have to upload it to SmallPDF’s servers. This is how it’s able to compress a file; there’s just no way for it to compress a file remotely. If you’re uncomfortable with having your document living on a server, don’t use an online service. They will all do something similar.
SmallPDF.com says your file only lives on its server for an hour, which seems like a way to keep it handy in case you retrieve it later for some reason.
You also have to download your compressed PDF from its server, which means you are relying on a connection. While the download isn’t large, you may find yourself unable to download it if your connection isn’t good.
Pdf Compressor Mac Online
Learn more about how to search a PDF on Mac
Tips for compressing PDF files
There are a few things to keep in mind when compressing PDF files that may save you a lot of time:
- Delete anything unnecessary. If your file doesn’t absolutely need the images or graphs you’ve included, eliminating them can really help when reducing a PDF. Images and other visual assets take up a lot of file space.
- Remove unnecessary pages. Consider why you’re exporting the file. If you need someone to read through a whitepaper, they may not need to look at the three pages of positive customer feedback at the end of the document. Consider which pages can be eliminated.
- Create multiple files. If you need someone on one team to look at a specific portion of your PDF, consider creating a separate PDF file with only the assets they need, which you can send just to them. That’s what batch-reduction was made for!
- Try exporting to other formats first. Sometimes opening a file in Word, then saving as a PDF – and then using PDF file compression actually works best.
There are several reasons you may need to shrink a PDF down. One of the more common reasons is to send it along as a mail attachment. Email services can be really finicky about how large an attachment can be, so reducing the size of a PDF is advantageous.
You may also just need to save space on your computer. If you’ve ever let your ‘documents’ memory get overly full, reducing file sizes can definitely help.
Whatever your needs are, we suggest PDF Squeezer. It’s fast, easy to use, and has a robust feature-set that’s great for all users. It’s simply the best PDF file size reduction app we’ve ever used.
Best of all, PDF Squeezer is free as part of a seven day trial of Setapp for Mac. Setapp is a subscription service that also provides you with access to dozens of other productivity apps for the Mac. Once your trial ends, Setapp is only $9.99 per month, a massive savings when compared to buying even a small portion of the apps you’ll gain access to.
So don’t wait – give Setapp a try today!
Meantime, prepare for all the awesome things you can do with Setapp.Read on
2020-09-11 17:49:35 • Filed to: Choose Right Mac Software • Proven solutions
A free PDF compressor for Mac should be able to do three things: adequately reduce the file size, maintain the key data, attributes, and layout of the content, and produce a clean, uncorrupted output file. And it should be able to do all of this for free. PDF compressor on Mac typically comes packaged with downloadable software like PDFelement or Adobe Acrobat DC, but there are also a number of online PDF compression services for Mac users, such as the ones covered in this article. However, only the best will offer advanced size reduction tools for flattening PDF forms, extracting text or images from PDF files, and other features that can help create lighter files while retaining the integrity of the content.
This is our selection of the top 5 PDF compressor on Mac after carefully reviewing feature-richness, advanced options, ease-of-use, and convenience.
5 of the Best PDF Compressor for Mac
#1: PDFelement for Mac: The Best PDF Compressor Software for Mac
A highly capable PDF editor that offers the best PDF Compressor for Mac, PDFelement leads the race with highly advanced PDF optimization features. It also includes several other features that can help you gain control over increasingly large PDF files. A lot of files have content that doesn't need to be there, and this software can strip away all those extras with tools like the flatten PDF module, the ability to extract images or text from a document, batch removal of Bates Numbering and watermarks, and a lot more.
A clear categorization of PDFelement's features would look something like this:
- PDF Creation, Editing, Conversion: These three components typically go together in a document workflow - other file types need to be converted to PDF to help maintain their content attributes, such as layout, fonts, etc.; PDFs need to be edited so data, numbers, images, tables, etc. can be changed or updated with new information; and the output is often required in a different file format. This software takes care of all three aspects of PDF management, plus several others listed below.
- Create, Fill, Sign PDF Forms: Comprehensive forms management tools at your fingertips at all times. PDFelement for Mac offers a range of templates, extensive form fields, full editing, and creating fillable PDF forms by converting them from non-interactive formats. Digital signatures can legally validate documents, which is useful in remote work scenarios.
- Protect, Optimize, Share PDFs: The first step to sharing information online is protecting it with a password and strong encryption. It can also optimize PDFs to reduce file size, which is essentially the ‘free PDF compressor on Mac' tool this article refers to. Finally, PDF sharing is made easy via cloud integration with top services like OneDrive and Dropbox.
- Advanced Features: These include batch processing for large queues, form field recognition, optical character recognition, and redaction tools.
- Affordable alternative to Adobe Acrobat DC and Pro DC.
- Full set of document and PDF management features.
- Clean interface with clear navigation.
- Tools are all well-organized by function type and are easy to find.
- Options for Standard and Professional versions.
- iOS and Android apps available.
- Best PDF compressor download for Mac.
- Needs to be downloaded to your Mac.
#2: Cisdem PDF Compressor for Mac
Cisdem is a purpose-built PDF compressor for Mac and one of the best in its class. Standard features include preset compression modes and a simple, three-step process to compress PDFs on a Mac. It offers options to remove unwanted elements that make a PDF file heavy, such as metadata and embedded elements that aren't required for the proper visual rendering of content. It also maintains the best possible quality for images, graphs, and other objects, while optimizing the overall file size as much as it can without the output being distorted or garbled.
- Easy to use - literally no learning curve.
- Simple steps to follow unless you require custom options.
- Renders visual content at the best possible quality level.
- Significantly reduces file size.
- No additional PDF functionality.
- Can be used as a free PDF compressor on Mac for only 3 files; upgrade required after that.
#3: Lightweight PDF
Lightweight PDF is an excellent free PDF compressor on the Mac App Store that you can download to your computer. It does PDF compression and that's about it. As the name suggests, it's a relatively small program compared to a full-fledged PDF editor, but it claims to be able to reduce a PDF's file size by up to 90% in some cases. Being a downloadable application, Lightweight PDF also promises to 'Keep your confidential documents offline and private.' It's a good utility to have installed on your Mac for emergency purposes, but if you need PDF editing or other features, this can be an enabler.
- High compression ratio.
- Good quality vs. size balance.
- User-friendly interface with drag-drop option.
- Automatically overwrites the original so it will be lost unless you have a copy.
- Not compatible with other compressible file types.
#4: PDF Expert
PDF Expert is a third-party Mac PDF editor with all basic functions like reading, editing, annotating, form-filling, and PDF merging. It also has a file size reduction feature that's useful when you want to email PDF documents but the files are too big to go as attachments. It also has a feature allowing you to email someone a PDF document right after compression from within the software. You can also choose the compression quality in order to maintain the visual integrity of the content.
- The software is built for Mac.
- Lets you control the quality of conversion during compression.
- Saves as a new file.
- No advanced PDF functions like OCR and Batch Processing.
- No perpetual license for Pro version when you upgrade from free.
Smallpdf offers a powerful online PDF compression tool that you can use if you don't want to work with a downloadable desktop version. Though not as secure as handling your files natively on your computer, it gives you the convenience of compressing PDFs using a browser on any connected device. The only downside is the upload file size limit. Smallpdf also has other tools in case you need further processing, such as editing, converting, merging/splitting, etc.
- Online access from any device with an Internet connection and browser.
- Totally free to use, no watermarking.
- Compresses to 144 dpi for easy email sharing and web distribution.
- Only basic compression (up to 45%) is free.
- Conversion happens on the cloud; confidential information may be at risk during transit (upload/download).
All of these are great ‘PDF compressor on Mac' utilities and each one is built for a specific purpose. If you want more out of your PDF compression tool, we recommend PDFelement, which gives you basic and advanced features and a pleasing and intelligent interface to work with.
Free Download or Buy PDFelement right now!
Free Download or Buy PDFelement right now!
Buy PDFelement right now!
Pdf Compressor For Mac Free Download
Buy PDFelement right now!