- SD Card Formatter (formerly known as SDFormatter) offers you the possibility to format Secure Digital (SD), High Capacity (SDHC), and eXtended Capacity (SDXC) memory cards in no time. The app automatically detects the SD cards connected to your Mac, and can also overwrite and erase the data.
- About SD Association Founded in January 2000 by Panasonic, SanDisk and Toshiba, the SD Association is a group dedicated to establishing SD standards and facilitating their adoption and development. At its outset the Association represented just 14 member companies and has grown into a global alliance comprised of around 1,000 member companies.
Related: sd card format. Free Disk Drill. Recover lost data on your Mac, prevent accidental data loss, backup failing disks. Amazing Mac SD Memory Card Data Recovery.
Let me take the liberty to assume that you are someone who has a lot of data to store. Therefore, you are someone who makes use of the SD Cards.
Sooner or later you might have come across questions such as
- Why do we format SD cards?
- Is there anything one needs to do before formatting an SD card?
- How to format SD cards?
Well, this is the place where all your questions shall be answered one by one.
Need to format
Formatting of memory cards is recommended by almost all the tech experts all over the globe. SD cards are predominantly used in digital cameras and cellphones. Digital camera manufacturers recommend formatting inside the camera itself. It's a way to initialize the SD card. People often tend to get confused between deleting and formatting an SD card. Formatting the card leads to deletion of all the contents on the card , even the ones which are protected which is not the case with erasing. This is especially applicable for images. Once, the formatting is done, a new file system and new directories are created. Summing up, formatting of the SD card enhances its overall performance in terms of speed and functioning.People often tend to get confused between deleting and formatting an SD card. Formatting the card leads to deletion of all the contents on the card , even the ones which are protected which is not the case with erasing. This is especially applicable for images. Once, the formatting is done, a new file system and new directories are created. Summing up, formatting of the SD card enhances its overall performance in terms of speed and functioning.
Pre-requisites before formatting
What could be the most important pre-requisite before you format an SD card?
The answer is pretty obvious. Get a Backup!!
You have to make sure all your media files like audio messages, songs, videos, photos or any other type of file are saved in some other physical device as well. So that, when your SD card is formatted and all ready to use, you can restore your items back to the SD card.
Read on to know more about Formatted SD Card Recovery
Sd Format For Mac
Here's how to format an SD card.......
Sd Card Will Not Format
Note: You have to format your SD/microSD into the FAT 32 or FAT format. If the card is 2 GB or less than 2 GB, you can format it to FAT but if the card is more than 2 GB, you have to format it to FAT 32 file system.
- Insert the SD card into the SD card slot.
- Now, Click on the Windows Key +E on the keyboard to open Windows File Explorer.
- Go to 'This PC'.
- Search for the 'removable disk' icon representing the SD card.
- Right-click on the icon of 'removable disk'.
- Click on 'Format'.
- Make changes in the allocation unit to 'Default allocation size'.
- 'Quick format' should be checked.
Micro Sd Format For Mac
- Click on CMD + Space on the keyboard and open 'Spotlight'.
- Type Disk Utility inside the search box.
- Press Return on the keyboard.
- Click on the icon for the SD card in the sidebar on the left.
- Choose the Erase option on the right.
- From the drop down menu of format, select MS-DOS (FAT).
- From the drop down menu of Scheme, select Master Boot Record.
- Type a name/title for the SD card in the name field( Note: Do not leave the name as 'Untitled').
Sandisk Sd Card Formatter
Friendly note: Formatting is essential, there is nothing scary about it. By any chance, if you happen to lose data; here is a way through which you can recover data from SD card.